Lesson Progress
0% Complete

NEGOTIATION: LESSON 5 SUMMARY

5.1 Conclusion

Thank you to our guest actor Marijke Ramakers from NCAB Group Benelux! 

Transcript

As a summary, we will now present ‘The Dos and Don’ts of Negotiating’ to demonstrate some important points from this course.

1. BUYER: “I am a buyer, and I know exactly what I want.”
    SALESPERSON: “I’m a salesperson and I want a hamburger. I’m starving, I hope this will be quick. I didn’t get a chance to go over the quote, but I know the price is $0,35, and I hope to get at least $0,30 today.”
    BENJAMIN: No, no. Preparation is everything. And don’t negotiate on an empty stomach! Go have lunch and then try again.
    SALESPERSON: “I am a salesperson. I know what I want, I know what my customer wants, I have my ZOPA, my BATNA, and a briefcase full of alternatives. I am so prepared!”
    BENJAMIN: Yes!
  2. BUYER: “I like NCAB, but that price is too high.”
    SALESPERSON: “Oh well, I suppose we could accept $0.33.”
    INGRID: No, no. Stay out of the price corridor as long as you can. Use your alternatives. Try again.
    SALESPERSON: “There are some alternatives in this project that I want to show you, just to make sure we don’t miss any possibilities. Would you mind if we wait with the price discussion until after we talked through the details?”
    INGRID: Well done, you!
  3. BUYER: “I think NCAB is overrated.”
    SALESPERSON: “No, we’re not.”
    BENJAMIN: No, no, no. Show your interest. Open questions. Try again.
    SALESPERSON: “Really, why is that?”
    BENJAMIN: Good job!
  4. BUYER: “My dog is sick, and my girlfriend forgot my birthday. And now you want me to pay $0,35 for a PCB?!”
    SALESPERSON: “Oh, that’s terrible, poor you. You know, maybe I could do $0.31.”
    INGRID: No, no, no. Be soft on the person and hard on the problem. Try again.
    SALESPERSON: “Oh, I’m sorry about your dog. And your girlfriend should know better, really. But I still need $0.35.”
    INGRID: Nice, good job!
  5. BUYER: “$0.25, it’s my last offer”
    SALESPERSON: “Then I guess I have to take it, even if we lose money. *Sigh*”
    BENJAMIN: No, no. Remember your BATNA. Try again.
    SALESPERSON: “That’s too bad, I looked forward to working with you on this. What other projects are you involved in?”
    BENJAMIN: Nice ABC!
  6. BUYER: “You need to take a week off your delivery date.”
    SALESPERSON: “Oh, OK we can do that.”
    INGRID: No, no. Never give anything away without asking something in return. Don’t be a dishrag. Try again.
    SALESPERSON: “If I work out a way to do that, will you give me the order?”
    INGIRD: Yes!

Thank you for listening and good luck with your negotiating!
Now go out there and win/win!